Monday, January 25, 2010

Pork Scaloppini

So Lilly's first food was pork scaloppini.  I was busy chatting and she reached over and pulled my plate to her so she could reach some.  By the time I looked down she was happily chewing away.  I did pull most of it out of her mouth- which did not make her happy.

This is where I have to tell you the story of my sister's first food.  She was being fussy and fussy and so my mom sent her outside with my dad.  Dad has been chopping wood and was sitting on a log having a baloney sandwich for lunch.  Lisa bent right over and took a big bite of it, chewed, swallowed and had some more.  and she wasn't fussy anymore.  

Back to Lilly.  So we got out the cereal that I had bought and let her eat some it.  Mark was very insistent that he needed to help Lilly eat.






In case you were wondering the recommended time to start solids is 6 months.  Luckily neither of our families have histories of asthma or allergies- which are higher in kids who are started on solids early.   But still I had intended to exclusively breast feed until 6 months as that is what the research shows is best.   Lilly is only 5 months old.  Mark was also 5 months old when he started solids.   With both kids we went with the three signs that your child is ready to eat.  1. they can sit up on their own  2. they are no longer tongue thrusting (this is the reflex that babies have to push everything out of their mouths- it keeps them from chocking while infants) 3. they are reaching for food and mimicking eating while at the table with you.

1 comment:

Kurt and Joanie said...

Yay- she'll be on three course meals made by grandma by the time you come in 3 weeks?? (just kidding- I will settle for feeding her cereal)