Monday, August 29, 2011

Cherries and Elizabeth


My Friend Elizabeth came for a visit.  (She has a blog too, see Elizabeth Drinks Up on the right)  I am pretty lucky to have friends in my life who have been my friend forever.  Elizabeth and I went to preschool together, I guess that is when we met, but you would have to check with my parents if it was earlier.  We put a few boxes in the wagon and walked to the orchard.  Even thought it has been more than 15 years since we sold the orchard it is still weird to go there and have it not be ours.  
Mark rode is bike.  It is a little steep going down and he did a great job of controlling his speed.  I made grandma walk right by him because I remember getting going too fast, falling and sliding half way down, skinning all my exposed skin.
Lilly is 30 pounds now.  I think by next summer she is going to have to hike on her own legs.  The house in the background is the house my dad built when we sold the orchard.  I lived here durning most of High School.  It is really a beautiful house and Ricky Creek runs on the other side of it.  And it is for sale now if you are thinking of moving to the country.
Jim cut down a branch for the kids to pick from.  They thought that was pretty great until....
They decided they could climb the ladders.  


Even pie cherries were worth the climb for Mark.  He liked them- crazy kid.  If you have never had a pie cherry off the tree they are VERY sour.  It is the sour cherry with the sweet sugar that make a good cherry pie.

Grandma had to stop me from picking, we brought home 44 pounds.  We ate some then, Elizabeth made us a cherry crisp (yummy), Grandma canned the rest.  We came back home with a dozen or more jars of canned cherries.  
It was also reaspberry season while were where there.  We were picking 2-3 gallons of raspberries every other morning.  Some became salad dressing, some were frozen, but most were made into jam.  lots and lots of yummy jam :)


No comments: